Tuesday, February 12, 2008

What's Your Poison?


Every morning, immediately following our daily duet to get the kids out the door and to school on time, Loverman and I make a beeline straight to Dunkin’ Donuts and order our regulars… one large hot tea with lemon for him, and a large tea with milk and extra, extra sugar for me. No chi chi latte for me, no sireee, I need only the pedestrian cup of Black tea to get my head on straight. Without this daily morning hit, I’m doomed with a dull, yet insistent headache for the remainder of the day.

I’ve never been a coffee drinker. I don’t much like the taste and whenever I’m forced to drink a cup of coffee because of a lack of options, I end up feeling like a speed freak after just a few sips. Even as a kid, in addition to not liking the taste, I bought my mother’s admonishments that drinking coffee would stunt my growth and at a mere 5’2”, I didn’t want to take any unnecessary chances of not growing any taller.

I’ll never forget the first time I spent the night at my girl, Kim’s house, we were about 14 years old and I was shocked when one by one, she and her two younger brothers stumbled right for the coffee pot first thing in the morning. I sat at her family’s kitchen table, waiting for her parents to say something, but they didn’t. To this day Kim must consume a strong cup of java to get her day going.

I wish I could step down to only requiring a gentle cup of green tea each morning, but it’s not going to happen any time soon, not with the pace I’m forced to keep these days. For the moment, I guess I’ll assuage my D& D tea addiction with the fact that it’s not costing me a mini fortune everyday, because the cost of those chi chi lattes ain’t cheap.

1 comment:

Mes Deux Cents said...

Mango Mama,

A few years ago I worked in an office that ALWAYS had several pots of coffee available. I used to drink coffee all day long then. At a certain point I just got sick of the stuff so I quit drinking it for a couple of years.

Now I drink it again but I don't drink it every day or even every week. I drink tea and another drink called Postum, which is made from Wheat.

I also drink Starbuck's Frappuccino, which I buy in the bottle at the market. That has become my favorite drink. I don't think it has much caffeine in it because occasionally I drink one near bedtime and it has no effect as far as keeping me awake.

I'm going to be drinking tea today though because I have a scratchy throat. :)