Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mommy's Home

Well folks, I’m happy to be back! When I headed off to another meeting in New Orleans on Wednesday evening, I was looking forward to catching up with any new developments in the 9th Ward since my December visit, touching base with colleagues and heading down to the flea market to get a funky new hat, but when I awoke on Thursday I felt as if I’d been hit by a Mack truck. I was down for the count for two and a half days.

That’s right, I spent 60 of my 72 hours in the Big Easy flat on my back in a hotel room, thankfully outfitted with a full-size fridge, microwave, cooking range and dishwasher. When I fist got to NOLA I had a roommate, but as my symptoms intensified, she packed her bags and got her own room. I can’t blame her, I was feeling, and probably looking, pretty funky and let’s be honest, when you’re suffering through some unnamed lower GI issues, you can do without an audience.

During my brief moments of lucidity, I felt guilty for missing my meetings. I was down there to offer input to a strategic planning session and all my expenses were being paid by the meeting’s host, but I couldn’t help it and when all is said and done, none of the other attendees wanted to get hit with what I had. I must also confess that if I’d been struck with that pesky bug while still at home, my kids would never have allowed me two full, glorious days of uninterrupted recuperation. Nope, it would have never happened.

Yesterday, mommy returned home feeling almost like her old self, maybe even a bit better than I left, because at least now I’m fully rested.


Melissa said...

It sounds like you got hit with the Noro virus that's been going around for months. It was truly awful. But how lucky for you that you were away and had time to recuperate, indeed! Glad you're feeling better.

Mes Deux Cents said...

HI Mango Mama,

I'm glad you are feeling better!


Gypsy at Heart said...

It seems to have worked out for the best. Especially the part about being able to recuperate with a modicum of peace and quiet. I'm sorry you had to go through it though. Here's to hoping you don't catch anything else for the longest time. Welcome home.

meera bowman-johnson said...

Glad you're feeling better! Thanks for your kind words on my blog, I'm enjoying reading yours. Take care!