Wednesday, February 13, 2008

What's an Evangelical?


Can somebody tell me what the heck an Evangelical Christian is? What’s the distinction of an Evangelical Christian from the other denominations, i.e., Methodist, Baptist, A.M.E, Episcopalians, etc.? I was raised Catholic and even went to Catholic school, but I attend a Baptist church these days.

When I hear Mike Huckabee speak and identify himself as an Evangelical, and then I see his supporters and there’s not a brown face among them, I get the sinking suspicion that Evangelical may be code for White conservative Christian. Am I wrong, and can somebody out there give me the heads up as to who these folks are and what sets them apart as Evangelicals?

1 comment:

Liz Dwyer said...

I think you hit it right on the head. I've been thinking a whole lot lately about the code language we hear in the media and this is another example of it.