Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Letting Go...

In spite of all of the self-help and personal, spiritual work, I just can’t seem to learn the lesson that I have to simply let go. I am not in total control. Yeah… yeah… yeah, I know, ultimately, we have very little control in our day-to-day lives, but sometimes this realization hits me right upside the head. Check this out, since the weekend, I’ve been flat on my back with an ugly stomach, head-sinus, I don’t-know-what the hell kind of flu, and last night, even though I felt like doo-doo and had spent all of Monday in my bed, there was no way I was going to miss another day of work. No, it’s not that my workweek is full of over-the-top fun or it’s a matter of life or death if I’m not there, but I do enjoy my job and I have an uncompromising sense of responsibility. Well… this morning, I dragged my pitiful, sick behind to work, despite the protest of Loverman and my own internal voice and guess what? After just a few minutes at my desk, I realized that this wasn’t going to work. I couldn’t do it. In fact, I couldn’t even think straight. I needed to get my butt home and back in the bed. I wasn’t doing myself, or my co-workers any good. The truth is, I was putting everyone at risk, because frankly, I wouldn’t wish this yucky thing on my worst enemy. Lesson of the day: Let go and take a nap.

No comments: