Sunday, September 30, 2007

Egypt is in Africa


So last night Loverman and I gather up the brown babies and head down to the Franklin Institute to check out Mummies: Secret of the Pharaohs, in the IMAX Theater. Sure, it’s a fascinating look at modern researchers piecing together the archeological and genetic clues of Egyptian mummies, but both Loverman and I were struck by the fact Africa is only mentioned once, and it’s in the context of the Egyptians traveling to East Africa in search rare herbs and plant extracts to use in preparing the pharaohs bodies for mummification. Is it me or does it seem that folks always try to excise Egypt from Africa? Listen folks, Egypt is in AFRICA. It is an AFRICAN nation--- plain and simple.

1 comment:

Nerd Girl said...

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by my spot and commenting. Love the name of your spot. I'll bookmark you and will be checking back in a little later.

I have always been amazed at how quickly people "liberate" Egypt from Africa. There are a few docs on staff here who are Egyptian. When people are referencing them I'm quick to say "oh, you mean the African doctor." "No, no, he's Egyptian." "Honey, where do you think Africa is?" Blank/puzzled look. Hey - a girl's got to get her entertainment where she can :)