Saturday, March 1, 2008

I'm a Law & Order Head


I am a Law & Order head. I have been for years and before you ask no, it doesn’t matter, I watch them all, the original and all of its subsequent spin-offs. If pressed, I guess I’d say Law & Order Criminal Intent is my least favorite, but that’s just because the lead actor, Vincent D’Onofrio, is a bit creepy. It also doesn’t matter if I’ve seen the episodes half a dozen times; I enjoy them all just the same.

I’m not into violence, but over the past few years, I’ve taken to watching quite a few of these pseudo-documentary/reenactment shows like Snapped, City Confidential and Dominick Dunne’s Power, Privilege and Justice, but hands-down, Law & Order is my absolute favorite.

I’m sure this has something to do with escapism, but a few years ago I discovered that viewing Law & Order also triggers a visceral reaction signaling me to relax. In May 2005, I found myself thousands of miles away from home in a small hotel room in the Netherlands, completely spun out from traveling for almost 24 hrs, and lonely because this was my first trip out of the country without Loverman and the kids, I was on the verge of tears, feeling pitiful when I turned on the TV, and heard the familiar, “dumm… dumm,” Now, let me tell you, at that very moment, this was the perfect elixir for this home-sick mama. I settled down, watched the episode and when it was over, I felt a bit more like myself and was able to get some sleep.

All in all, it’s a pretty harmless indulgence and I know I’m not the only one on this Law & Order bandwagon, but let’s keep it real, I do have an addiction and the road to recovery begins with admitting you have a problem.

2 comments:

val said...

Try to think of Vincent as the hottest, sexiest man on earth (not a stretch to me and my V-friends) not to mention the greatest actor alive, and you will find that LOCI becomes your favourite.

Anonymous said...

I am totally with you on this one. I tune in to A&E to get my fix. The show never gets old, even when I know how it's going to end.

LOCI is my least favorite, too, but that's not saying much since I still make it a point of watching religiously.

I had never thought of it in the way you put it, but I also think that it brings me comfort.