Saturday, December 29, 2007

hello stranger


Yesterday, my girl, Alexis, and I drove up to North Jersey to spend the afternoon with one of our line sisters, Lisa. It’s been almost 15 years since we’ve all been together and we had a ball catching up. In fact, yesterday’s activities fit quite well with one of my intentions for the new year----- make a sincere effort to spend more time with friends.

I’ve always had a tight group of gal pals, and infrequently ventured outside of this core nucleus of friends, but while in college I met and enjoyed many folks that I’ve simply loss touch with over the years and since I’ve had the kids, forgetaboutit! It’s time for this to change. I think it’s especially crucial since both Loverman and I are only children, neither of us have a large extended family. It’s really easy for us to become insulated, like we’re on our own little island and that’s not the type of environment I want for our family. You need to have other energies around as a sort of barometer, to let you know if you’re balanced or veering a bit off course.

Touching base with Alexis and Lisa yesterday really helped me feel a little less like just mom to Olivia and Yannick or wife to Loverman, and more like my old self. It was nice to reconnect with both them and me. I see now, that I’ve missed us all.

8 comments:

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Mango Mama,

I know what you mean. I'm not married but I live 3000 miles from my family and the friends I've known the longest.

Also even though I'm not an only child I grew up like one, long story. So for me it's very easy to live an isolated life.

In the upcoming year I am going to make some serious decisions about where I want to live. I know it's not going to be here in California.

So I applaud you for re-connecting with your friends, after all; what is life really about other those that we care about?

Mango Mama said...

MDC, Wow! From the vibe of your posts, I would never peg you as being in Cali. I'm sure you've probably mentioned it before in some older posts, but I must of missed it. I also think that out in the blogland, you feel like you're more familiar with folks that you really are.

Well, I'll be interested to know where you eventually land! Be well and Happy New Year.

Mes Deux Cents said...

Mango Mama,

Lol, Do I have an East Coast vibe?

Mango Mama said...

Most definitely! You're way too smooth for the West Coast. A lot of folks think the West Coast vibe is laid back and that may be true, but a smooth vibe and a laid back vibe are two different things. So,sister... you're east coast smooth.

Mes Deux Cents said...

Mango Mama,

You are VERY perceptive; I grew up in Queens, N.Y. And I've spent most of my life on the East Coast. Lol

So you are right!

Anonymous said...

Mango Mama,
As we move through this space, we tend to always circle back to those old friends that knew us well. You are truly on of them. It was great to reconnect with you, Loverman and the kids for our shared birthday. It's been 10 years since be both met our husbands in France and I could not think of a better way to celebrate. It would be great to see Lisa and Alexis too. Perhaps you should have a cook out this summer and invite us all over. I'll be there!

Mango Mama said...

O.K. 50 duck, it's on! As soon as the summer hits, we'll plan a cook-out to get us all together. Love to you and Fred.

jillybean said...

Mango Mama,

This is one of my "resolutions" for 2008. I have to do better about keeping in touch with my friends. I understand that we are all busy, but as Ledisi would say, I have to take time to get away, free my mind and fly away..."

Jillybean