Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Kudos!

Update

I wrote in an earlier post that I don’t tolerate being called or referring to women as bitches, so I rarely check out Girlfriends on the CW. Years ago, when the show first premiered I watched all the time, but my enthusiasm was quickly dampened due to the characters repetitive reference to each other as “bitches.”

Well, I’m happy to report that Monday evening I took a peek at the show and I’m happy to report that this episode addressed their use of the word. One of the girlfriends, Maya Wilkes, was surprised by her teenage son’s flagrant use of the word on his videoblog and when she questioned him about it and his apparent disrespect for women, he flipped the script and explained that he thought it was cool because he often heard her and her friends refer to each other as bitches---- forcing Maya and the girls to rethink their use and power of their words.

It's true, when you know better, you do better. Kudos Girlfriends!

No comments: